There are three basic criteria to qualify for a Kansas City Habitat home:
• Need for Shelter (Must be a first-time homebuyer or must not have owned a home within the past three years)
• Willingness to Partner (Willing to complete an application honestly, fully, & completely, including providing copies of all supporting documentation and willing to do sweat equity, education requirements, etc.)
• Ability to Pay (Must have at least a history of steady income high enough that housing costs are not a burden)
Additional requirements include:
• Must be a U.S. citizen or a legal permanent resident.
• Must make between 30% and 50% of the median income for the Kansas City area.
• Have one year of good rental history.
• Good (acceptable) credit history or no credit history.
• Less than $1000 in collections.
• Ability to pay $1,100 in mortgage escrow.
• Ability to pay a mortgage of approximately $400-$450/month.
Partner Family Commitment
Approved families are able to buy their Habitat house with a no-money down 20 to 30-year mortgage. They do, however, have to invest 350 hours of "sweat equity" in the construction of their new home and other Habitat homes. They also pay $1,100 in escrow to cover the cost of taxes and insurance for the first year in their new home.
What is "Sweat Equity"?
"Sweat equity" is work done by partner families in the Habitat program. Families earn these hours by doing construction on their own house, working in the ReStore, attending homeowner education classes, and helping build and renovate other houses or other approved Habitat work projects.
How do I apply?
Applications for Habitat houses are accepted all year round and can be picked up at the reception desk at our office or downloaded from the "own a home" section of this website. Please note that there are several documents that need to be submitted along with your application. It is strongly recommended that you make copies of everything before submitting your final, completed application. These copies cannot be made at the Habitat KC office.